Friday 23 May 2014

Her ‘Maami’




1:40 pm Sunday 18th May, 2014. My heart raced as I heard a frantic voice on the other end of the call. She was crying, struggling to find words to express herself… “Dupe, ‘Maami’ is dead… my mom is dead” I went blank because it made no sense.
            
8:00 am Monday 12th April 2010. Shaking from nervousness; my first day of work was going to be great! Never had I once considered working in an Ad agency but this was a gift that life gave to me and I was happy to explore. I never wanted to have to put on those horrid long-sleeved shirts and pants and look perfectly polished from head to toe like my friends who worked in Banks.
 I walked into the reception to see TEN Youth Corpers waiting to be attended to! Like seriously?? TEN?! I can’t say I wanted to be the only one or anything like that but seeing ten other individuals in the same position as I was, just put me off. Of course this changed after spending some time with them as I recall that those were the best months of my life so far! Everyone had a different personality; we were all from very different backgrounds and tribe.

One of them stood out, she was really different.. She seemed reserved but didn’t act it; she was very outgoing and very assertive. It made me feel quite uncomfortable at first because I was the kind of girl that was quite reserved and diplomatic. Our friendship was a very dynamic one as we had to compete at the office but still found a common ground where we could bond and relate no matter what. Often times I expressed how thankful I was to have a friend like her as I got through many dark periods with her by my side. Don’t get it twisted though, we did have crazy fights that sometimes ended in tears and hurtful words but yea, we still have a connection.

Someone was responsible for this beautiful soul sister of mine and that was her strong, loving and endearing ‘Maami’. All her friends knew ‘Maami’ so well - physically and mostly from the sweet hilarious stories my friend told. Those two were inseparable! We often made fun of my friend that ‘Maami’ was like her husband because she loved her in ways that we could not phantom. Their relationship made me realize and appreciate how deep the connection between a mother-child really is…

 It saddens my heart to know that her sweet ‘Maami’ has gone to rest although I know that she is with Lord as she was a faithful servant and daughter of the Most High till the end. She sacrificed her life for her children and anyone who needed her, she was a virtuous wife and mother, a leader and an example. In death, she touched even more lives...

The pain I have seen my friend and her family go through is inexpressible but I know that she will survive this, ‘Maami’ taught her well.
 

2 comments:

  1. Maami, I never saw Her but through y{our} friend, I learnt a whole lot of things. I'm short of words...
    I'mStillpraying,Ibelieve,Iknow,IhaveFaith,IprayForStrength.IprayForGod'sGrace to see her through this journey...HE never sleeps!!!
    And to the lovely one who wrote this post, God bless You real good! I had to take steps out of my seat after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soo much dear friend, your words are so embracing. Never even knew you noticed so much, may God bless you and keep you. May the Grace of Christ continue to keep us well in Jesus name, Amen!

    ReplyDelete