Wednesday 28 May 2014

BIRTHDAY POST!




So it was my birthday on Monday the 26th of May 2014! I think I really am a birthday fanatic; I countdown from the month before, buy a new outfit for the day (mom pays), change my hairstyle, change my nail polish, reflect on the previous year, renew my dreams for the year ahead, announce the date to anyone who cares to listen, solicit for gifts, *phew* the list is endless! I wake up feeling like a brand new Barbie – The beautiful Blond Gold Barbie; you forget to call, you are cut off! Anyway, I bet you get the point… I am a Birthday Freak! 


Somehow, I think I am outgrowing it because this year was different, I guess I was more nervous than excited. The reality of adulthood had set in; first birthday in marriage, first birthday as a Mrs… , first birthday as a wife, first birthday as…………. Responsible! 
Geez… I’m not sure if you feel me but mehn it was scary, it didn’t feel the same! 
I could not plan a night out with my friends – this felt like a crime, I could not harass my mom for gifts like I used to (although I still got what I really really wanted from her J) but yea, it just felt weird, but the worst part was me considering cooking my birthday dinner (the horror!!!!). 

Okay, seriously it was not a bad day; I enjoyed myself even though Monday tried to play its 'serious' games with me.  I learned that once a year is not enough to celebrate ME, not enough to feel special, not enough to let go of all my worries, not enough to feel blessed.

Everyday is a gift which brings with it endless surprises and opportunities and that alone is a reason to celebrate. 
The past year brought me many blessings, I was given a brand new life! can you believe that? 
Strolling down the path of loneliness - I really was tired of the many 'toasters' that remained nothing but that and it made me realize I needed more. So I decided just after my birthday (last year) to cut off all 'unholy' associations and move on. 
One relationship was especially hard to let go of! Ladies, you know those guys that just play the boyfriend role without exactly having any intention of being 'the one' and you just keep falling deeper and deeper till you wake up one morning, many years after and realize he was 'the one' for another woman?? Yea, that was really hard to let go of!

A year after so much drama, a lot has changed and I have been blessed with my 'the one' and so much more! Looking back, I cannot be anything but thankful because no matter how much some experiences sucked, it feels great to have come out and come out strong!

So here's to many more years for me, I am glad I am on this journey and I am sooo excited about the years to come! Many thanks to my darling husband, my mom, all my family and friends! Let's make this new year even more remarkable than the last!

2 comments: