Thursday 10 April 2014

There is more


Four years. FOUR years?! My reaction when I realized I had been working here for Four years was quite alarming. Suddenly it felt like I was drowning, like I had two big fat hands around my neck, as if this was the end! Somehow the realization of my forth year anniversary in this company made me feel locked up, like I was not moving. But this was good right? Being stable is good. I mean this basically means I am loyal, patient… there are many different ways to see this positively but somehow I had a sickening feeling. What if I woke up 25 years from now and I still worked here?!!! NOOOO! Don’t get me wrong working here has been one of the greatest blessings (curse too) lol. 
Being fresh in the corporate world, I needed an avenue to learn, to grow, to do something worthwhile, to add value... Well, I got that opportunity here. Managing major brands, handling events, being exposed to the production of TV commercials just blew me! 

My first two years was what I will classify as dynamic! I enjoyed every second of it. The power that came with being a manager is inexpressible. So what changed? Did I outgrow it? Was the business changing? Or do I just believe there is more?

As I pondered on this, my mind drifted to my very first job interview. Fresh from Uni, awaiting NYSC, very gingered to serve (make money), still in a world of fantasies! I remember walking into the building on Johnson’s Crescent, suspecting all that was in view. The windows were way too tinted for comfort, the compound was hidden by trees, hardly was anyone in sight, this place was just plain creepy! The only thing that gave me a little bit of confidence was the sight of my Uni boyfriend a few meters behind, cheering me on and supportive as always.
Reality hit hard, I was walking in the shoes of an adult! Funny how I fought many years to be treated like one but I wasn’t so sure I wanted it anymore. Adulthood came too fast!! I remember reminiscing  about the good old days (while waiting to be called) when I could get out of bed and decide whether to go for a class or not, request for pocket money from my family, have sleep-overs, throw tantrums when I wanted something new, barbecue parties, the December homecoming parties for friends abroad(I secretly hated these), you name it! Somehow I wished I had been a bit more serious in school, gotten a holiday job in between or something, surely that would have made me a tad bit more confident! 
FYI, the interview was a flop! The guy almost threw me out of his office believing I had come to mess with his mind or maybe I was just plain stupid – who knows??
I was ‘scarred’ for life. Thank God I did not need to be interviewed for NYSC, surely they would have exempted me and sentenced me to a life of a destitute! It was bad!! **Okay enough of the sad part**

I got through camp and needed a place to work (I had to redeploy from Abia state by the way, which meant I had to look for a company in Lagos to take me in, which meant I was going to get INTERVIEWED!). I must have lost a lot of weight that period not only from the fear that nagged me all day and also kept me awake at night but also from fasting till 12noon everyday (I hated fasting). I needed a miracle!
Finally, I cajoled one of my uncles to help out and I got the contact of the Managing Director of this company and secured an appointment. 
I bet it took all the nerves in my system to keep me alive and sane that morning. With sweaty palms and shaky legs I walked into the reception 30 minutes early, reading Psalms and trying to speak in tongues (I made sure I learnt how to twist my tongue that period, made me feel closer to God).
I was ushered into a corner office with a great view of the mainland express way, somehow this office made me feel warm. The next hour went by like it was five minutes. I mean this man was an Angel! He listened to every word I said like I made sense and explored various ‘hidden talents’ I never knew I had!!
Bottom line is he gave me an opportunity! This was both awesome and scary, kinda like those episodes of ‘Touched by an Angel’ where a human has a divine encounter! Okay I might be getting a bit too dramatic on this one.



The point is I got a second chance and I believe everyone deserves one; you may have flopped a couple of times but that’s not enough reason to stay beaten. There is MORE! I would never have thought I could achieve all that I have in the past four years but for the man that gave me another chance. Trust me; I was a real novice with zero knowledge of the world outside of the walls of my Uni. I thought I was useless until someone gave me a chance to explore my worth… Who can relate? 
The Bible says about Jesus ‘the stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone’ Bible Ref: Ps118:22 NLT; therefore, give yourself a break, believe in yourself and take another shot at what you want to achieve.


With regards to my present emotional situation, I have not taken my gift for granted neither am I ungrateful. I just know that it is time to do / achieve more. I will keep you posted on what happens next!

Please share your thoughts

3 comments:

  1. I really like how you write.. that's what I appreciate most. You pull me in... nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally relate with this post, quiet funny but it's the truth... #thumbsupbabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite interesting.staying tuned!

    ReplyDelete